29 April 2009

Letting Go

A poem about saying goodbye to someone who's in the hospital.

I sit here watching memories
play a movie in my mind,
knowing they’ll be all I have,
all that’s left behind
after today.

There are so many moments that
I have shared with only you;
secret smiles and silent laughs
just between us two -
our private jokes.

Who’s going to laugh with me now,
and get what I try to say?
I’m being selfish, I know;
wanting you to stay
when you’re hurting.

24 hours of your time,
that’s what I gave to myself,
storing away each second
on a closet shelf
deep in my mind.

Listen to me now, I’m rambling.
Sorry for being a pain.
Just wanted to say thank you
for keeping me sane
through all the years.

The doctors are here now, it’s time,
no more hours left to buy.
It’s all right to go now friend.
Godspeed and goodbye,
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment